Living room furniture is exposed to daily wear and tear. If you have pets, young ones of frequent living room dinners, you may be battling against crumbs, spills and other stains. As a result, you might be wondering, “Can leather be cleaned?”
The good news is, leather is one of the easiest materials to clean and keep clean, especially when compared to fabric sofas which stain easily.
For example, Leather Expressions owner Steve Erdman has a beautiful leather ottoman as part of his living room set. As you can see in the first photo below, something had been spilled on it, and he wasn’t aware of the spill until the morning after it happened. With one swipe of a wet towel, the substance was gone and no stain was left. If this had been a fabric, ottoman, he’d be left with a mess.
The ‘Dos and Don’ts’ of Leather Furniture Cleaning
- Know your leather. Some leathers have protective coatings and others are all natural. Depending on the leather type, different cleaning products may be recommended.
- Buy a UVA/UVB agent. If exposed to sun and left untreated, your leather furniture is sure to fade. Thankfully, the professionals at Leather Expressions have protective agents Contact us about your sofa’s leather type and we will make sure you leave with the right product.
- Find a great leather conditioner. Leather furniture is an investment, one that should look as beautiful in ten years as it did on day one. One of the keys to helping leather age gracefully is finding a great conditioner and applying it periodically.
- Use harsh cleaning products. The gentler the cleaning product, the better for your furniture. Harsher cleaning products can bleach or leave stains on your sofa. To keep your leather in its prime, stay away from household cleaners and buy something intended for leather furniture. Our showroom is stocked with leather cleaning kits so that our customers have everything they need to keep their furniture beautiful.
- Only use water. It may seem intuitive to avoid cleaning products all together in order to preserve your leather sofa’s quality. Water only is okay sometimes, but if not careful, your sofa can absorb the excess water. This will damage the bonds within the natural oils that keep your leather silky.
Contact Leather Expressions for Expert Advice
Located at 927 Bethlehem Pike, Leather Expressions is the leading leather furniture expert in the Philadelphia area. We are happy to help you find the right products to maintain your beautiful leather furniture. Our friendly and informed staff are available to answer all of your leather furniture questions. Contact us at 215-631-1500 or through our online form to inquire!